Marriage License

Welcome to our guide to legally getting married in Thailand.

Marriage in Thailand by non-Thai couples or Thai National and foreigner couples is easy to arrange and can be quickly accomplished. Firstly, you will need to provide and finalize all the necessary paperwork at your embassy or your consulate in Bangkok before your wedding day in Koh Samui or Phuket. It might be advisable to hire the service of an agent to assist you with the running of the documents.

Visit your embassy in Bangkok and submit a statutory declaration (also known as an affirmation or affidavit) to say that you are a single person who is free to marry. Please note that some embassies require you to make an appointment for this and will require other supporting documents. Please check with your respective embassy in Bangkok beforehand.

Collect the statutory declaration that has been endorsed by your embassy’s consular. Some embassies will endorse your statutory declaration on the same day while others will require up to 3 days to complete the process. Please check with your embassy in Bangkok for the processing time required and fees payable.

Get the statutory declaration translated into Thai by an authorized translation bureau in Bangkok. Please note fees will apply.

  • Below is the list of basic documentation;
  • Passport and copies of the front page
  • A 30-day tourist visa
  • A valid 10-year passport
  • An original full birth certificate
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower)
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name)
  • Adoption certificate (if applicable)

Submit your documents (both the Statutory Declarations and their translations) at the Thai Foreign Ministry to have them authenticated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It will take up to 2-3 working days to process the applications.